Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Everything a Blog should be and MORE! Ahhhh!

Finally! I am back to my beloved desk...I was on a mini vacation- but to make up for my lack of communication, this entry will be EVERYTHING a blog should be- comedy, food and restaurant review, photos of friends, Mommie Glam, travel guide, a short vent/rant and the joy of family. All in one place- MY BLOG!

Jeff was working in Philly on Sunday morning so when the opportunity to tag along presented itself, I was all for it. You see our lovely and adorable previous nanny, Aaryn Rubin (hate to call her the "OLD" Nanny- she is so flippin young, still) was back in town and had agreed to help Argenida so I could escape Columbus for a few days- with Jeff, alone. Just us. Ahhhhh.

This is me Glamming it up with the Estate Emeralds!















Jeff was giving a keynote to over 1000 members of an Independent Jewelers organization, so in addition to speaking he was speaking to a very large audience of people that own fine jewelry stores. Now we are talking my language. How often do most women get to have their husband in a room with 1000 people who sell platinum, diamonds and gold- OH MY! Our good friends Eli and Laurie Fish from L.A. were there too, so it made our short stay in Philly really fabulous. I even got my photo taken with some incredible Platinum, Diamond and Emerald estate pieces valued at over a million bucks. I love this job...Ahhhhh!

After Jeff's keynote we hopped the train into NYC to visit with our NSA friends. It was a whirlwind trip to the city that never sleeps. We did the whole priceline thing for accommodations and sort of blew off the NSA host hotel - our room at the Westin in Times Square was lovely and a fraction of the price everyone else was paying at the Marriott Marquis. I love it when that happens, but I admit when you check into the hotel and they see you have used priceline,( the reservation shows it is a pre-paid) you are treated like a second class citizen- even though Jeff is a Gold level Starwood Preferred Guest, we still were a bit put off my the bitch at check-in. All in all, who really cares, but in the customer service department there is a lesson to be learned. Jeff says for what we are paying we will be sleeping in a janitor's closet in the basement, but in fact our suite was spacious and clean. The Westin has the trademarked, "Heavenly Bed" and did I mention we were alone? Ahhhhhh!

Sunday night was Italian dinner at
AMARONE with Steve Rizzo and his new agent, manager, right hand, and friend, Karen Harris. Having dinner with Steve should be done at your own risk because it is really difficult to eat when you are laughing. The company was divine but AMARONE is amazing- I took a few photos of the appetizer salad Belgium Endive, Cherry Tomatoes, Beets, and Shaved
Peccorino drizzled with a citrus vinaigrette,

and a coconut gelato with bittersweet chocolate sauce for our dessert,


but sadly, in a moment of sheer gourmet passion, we started eating our entrees before I remembered to snap any photos. If you are ever in the Theater/Times Square area and are looking to be WOW-ed by a small, intimate Italian bistro, this is the place. I am still savoring our meal and the hilariousness that comes with dining with Rizzo. Let me once again, say...Ahhhhh!

We were able to get back to the social scene with a few cocktails at the lounge atop the Marriott Marquis- I of course had a Makers Mark Manhattan, straight up. As the saying goes, "When in Rome" ...right?

We continued the laughs and party with Cindy Kubica who was simply glowing.
What ever she is taking, whatever she is doing with herself is working- the woman is on fire.

Jeff and I also had the pleasure of re-connecting with Scott McKain and his bride, Tammy.















I will always call her his bride because we attended their spectacular wedding two years ago, and she looks as glamorous now as she did the day they got married.
When the four of us are together I secretly think to myself (and then ramble on my blog) that we are two couples that could be the poster children for Internet matchmaking.

Since hanging out with beautiful, Glam Mommies was in order that night, we also spent time talking about potty training with Christine Cashen- look at this photo-



Don't we look way too smart, sexy and faputzed to be discussing the silly toilet habits of toddlers? Sure enough- when you get the Glam Mommie Entourage together, we can't help ourselves- even from above the bright lights of Times Square.

Robin and her outrageously funny husband, George Campbell were there too,













We always enjoy the comedic flair of his persona Joe Malarkey, the worst motivational speaker in America.

I spent the next day shopping. Scratch that, make that, Pounding the Pavement of Manhattan. My poor aching feet. Note to self, the mantra, "It is better to look good than to feel good" does not apply in NYC. I looked taller and slimmer wearing my spanx with 5" Gucci Platform Wedge Ankle Strap Sandals, but after 6 hours and a trip to Canal Street I am in agony today. Fortunately I had a handsome shopping pal go along. Fashionisto, Bill Lauterbach is good. He opens doors, buys me my Venti, Iced, Shaken, Passion Sweet tea at Starbucks and hails a cab like nobody's business. The poor guy was loaded down with black cellophane bags (the signature look of Canal street for those who are in the know) and I just love a man who offers to carry my bags. It is good to be the Queen! I got back to base camp with a dozen Pashminas and few Coach key chain trinkets for the babysitters when Jeff decided he too should go to Canal street and find the watchmaker who can repair his treasured Patek. I could not resist the offer to accompany him, so I made another trek South of Houston street and this time, I had my very own Permanent bag carrying BFF along for the spree. Did I mention that I looked so chic and city savvy that on more than one occasion I was asked for directions by tourists? You have no idea how happy that made me. I look like a New Yorker. To me, that was a huge compliment. I LOVE NEW YORK. Ahhhhh!

So I am back to my true comfort zone- the kids, the computer, and all the day to day real life stuff. And this morning I am wearing some funky capri pants with the most comfortable and cushy flip flop flats- Ahhhhhh!

No comments:

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter