Sunday, January 20, 2008

New York- the city that never sleeps


While the title may be true, my recent New York trip proved otherwise. Oh there was plenty to see and do like always but this trip was just Jeff and me, a huge Soho loft and no specific agenda. Just sleep. Ahhhh- no babies, no alarm clock, just heavenly sleep- together. Nice!

We managed to dine in a french bistro, stroll through the busy streets, and do some "research" on style. And by research I mean shopping. I love New York. The people, the hustle & bustle, the buzz! Seriously, where else can you buy a $40,995 Patek Phillipe watch** for $30? I marveled at the sheer skill of the Asian salesforce on Canal Street...try it with me, Gucci, Coach, Chanel- say it faster and whisper it to the passers by....Gucci, Prada, Chanel. Gucci, Prada, Chanel. Properly spoken to the tourists it was the hook that got them to step inside their booths. Genius.

Steve Rizzo sent his driver to get us and we made the trek out to Wading River to have a grown up version of a sleepover. So fun. In our version of the slumber party we drink too much great red wine, enjoy a gourmet meal, and laugh at each other because we can. Gina and Steve were the perfect hosts in their restored farm house on a quiet little street with a white picket fence. No shit, it was flawless on every level. Being the houseguest of a stand up comedian should be done at your own risk. My sides are still hurting and as Martha Stewart might say, that is a good thing!

The best part of the our short trip was getting home past bedtime. We quietly snuck upstairs and saw the little sleeping people all curled up in their footie jammies. The time away was sublime, but coming back to our own world was perfection.

I fell asleep in my own bed and was dreaming of Billy Joel, Gucci, Prada, Chanel, Sex & the City, a coke and a slice, Tony Soprano and the sound of taxi cabs squealing because I was, and I am still in, a New York state of mind!

No comments:

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter